Friday, July 10, 2009

Welcome to the world, baby Lucy!

Well, here it is. The big, long blog about Lucy's trip into this world! If you don't want to read the story, or you already know it, feel free to skip down to the bottom where the pictures are. If you haven't heard it, it's kind of an interesting one, read on...
Well, 2 1/2 weeks before my due date, July 5, I started having contractions 5 minutes apart during church. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, so I kept doubting myself on whether this was really labor or not. At any rate, Dan and I decided better safe than sorry, so we left church, dropped Jenna off at Grandma and Grandpa Smith's, and headed over to the hospital. By this time, my contractions were a little closer together- every 3 minutes or so. When the nurse checked me, I was dialated 5 cm. (halfway there). That means I got to stay. Alright, pretty routine, we were there in plenty of time... what could go wrong?
Well, many of you know, it was fast Sunday- meaning Dan had not eaten anything all morning. When I was getting my i.v. put in, all of a sudden, Dan was on the floor. Yup, he fainted! He's a pretty big guy, so this was not a little spill, and he hit his head pretty hard. When he came to, the nurses wouldn't let him get up, and the paramedics had to come and take him to the ER to get checked out. A little later, I went to go visit him there. Yeah, nothing like a woman in labor going to visit her husband on the floor below her. My sister-in-law Anna was nice enough to come keep me company while Dan was being checked out. Fortunately, the CATscan came back fine and Dan was able to come back up to labor and delivery. It left him a bit naseous for the rest of the time, and even a day or two later, but he's okay.
Anyways, this little lady took a long time making her appearance. I gave birth to Lucy Makana Smith at 5:51am on July 6th. She weighed 7 lbs, 1 oz. Boy, it's a good thing she came early, or she would have been huge! She is healthy and so sweet. We are so glad to have her in our family. I can't believe it. Dan and I have been married 2.5 years, and we have 2 beautiful girls. We are truly blessed with all the good things in life. Here are quite a few pictures for your viewing pleasure!
Dan, after he passed out. Still got a smile out of him!
Dan said,"I always figured I would end up on one of these from mountain biking or snowboarding..." I guess if you're going to get hurt, a hospital is a good place to do it!

Me, visiting Dan. Classic.


Lucy's first moments in this world

Mommy and Lucy
Daddy and Lucy

Jenna's first time seeing Lucy. She really likes to touch people's noses, that's what she's doing here. Jenna has done great with Lucy so far. Everytime she hears her, she says "Oh, baby!" Jenna has been so soft and gentle with her. What a great big sis!

First family photo


Grandma and Grandpa Smith with their 4 grandchildren (all girls!)

Aahhhh! Where am I?!!

You want a piece of me?

More sister love.


Grandpa Orrell with Lucy. Grandma Orrell is still in Hawaii, but will be here at the end of the month. We are so excited to see you!

Jenna at home with Lucy. She loves to give hugs and kisses.

This is her giving hugs

Wide-eyed!


Some cute little hiccups at the hospital!


6 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a fantastic story! It sounds like something out of a movie. :) The pictures are great - I love the ones of Lucy pulling faces. :) Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Karla hooray for shorter Pregnancy's. Now it is my turn to feed you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good times. I love that you had to visit him in the ER. Im glad you all were okay and survived everything. Lucy is BEAUTIFUL! She is such a cutie. I love the wide eyes picture. Congrats! When can I bring you dinner?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AH! She's so wonderful!!!! And beautiful... Karla you have the cutest kids :D OH... and Dan too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, how cute!! Emma and I are sitting here watching Lucy's hiccups! (Emma's doing a chorus to show she can do it too) Love to you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wont lie I am laughing so hard right now! I love how you two are seen in a photo with him in the hospital bed. Seriously classic. See and people go and complain that fast sunday is boring (I have met a many people who say that, sad I know) but not for you guys. Oh the story of Lucy's birth.

    ReplyDelete