Thursday, August 26, 2010

The only redone/complete spaces in our house...

You know how when you move into a new place you just want to make it your own? Yeah, I had those ambitions.  But it takes soo much work!  And ya know what?  I would be willing to do the work even.  The true problem?  It also costs lots of money.  If I had lots of money, this stuff would be a breeze.  But I don't.  So one room at a time, slowly but surely, we are making this house our own.  I started with the downstairs bathroom.  It's kind of a weird room, since it is also the laundry room.  The toilet sits in it's own funny little nook... 

...and the sink is kinda close to the shower...
... and when they painted the bathroom beige, they decided to not do behind the washer and dryer.  BUT, our washer and dryer show part of that!

This is what it looks like from the doorway.  It's not a true before, because as you can see, I already had painted the back wall by the sink.  But check out that funkiness above the dryer.  Weird, eh?  It was the primary reason I wanted to paint.
So, how did I decide on blue? Easy, we already had it.  Yes, we lugged it all the way from Nevada.  I had better stinkin' use it already... Anyways, I added some much needed touches and... voila! Our now decent looking downstairs bathroom. Sorry for the picture, all the mirrors bounce the light like crazy!
The weird window ledge stops me from putting up a normal mirror in front of the sink, but hello, who doesn't have a mirror in front of their sink?!!  There are mirrored doors opposite the washer and dryer, but what if we have a guest over and he's shaving?  They won't want to have to keep going back and forth to rinse their razor and then go back over to the mirror! Yes, a mirror above the sink is a necessity.  As is something to dry your hands on, so a towel ring went in as well. 

I used curtains we already had (they're from Wal-Mart) but they were way to big, so I cut and sewed them to the right size.  I wanted something cute to hold them in place.  I'm cheap and I had twine. I think it's kinda cute, don't you?  Oh yeah, and it's actually hung on a shower curtain rod.  I picked up a couple of Target shelves for the wall behind the toilet, found a way cute vase for .50 at DI, insert fake flowers and I really like it.  The picture frame was black, but I spray painted it white (it looks right)  and the picture is actually from an old Hawaii calendar.  The shelves are actually set closer to one wall than the other, to help balance that the toilet isn't centered in it's nook.  Why isn't it?  I have no idea... I'll have you know, that I only spent $43.50 in this room.  $30 of it was that mirror that is a NECESSITY.  But overall, I think it looks much better. 


My other space isn't a room at all.  No, it's my beloved craft closet.  Dan gets the garage, so I can at least have a closet, right?  I worked hard to organize this space.  Dan let me buy a microwave cart for $20 from the classifieds on ksl.com (kind of like craigslist) and it holds my sewing machine and surger perfectly.  When I need to get behind it, it rolls out easily.  Yay for organization!

It's nice to look at things you accomplish.  Too bad I turn around to look at the rest of the house and can only sigh...  One room at a time.  Next up, the office nook!

3 comments:

  1. Seriously, one room at a time. I have to chant this from time to time as well. Been in this house for a year and I still don't have curtains. :)

    I think your work looks GREAT! Twine is one of my favorite things, so it's a perfect touch. And HELLO! Your closet is gigantic! NICE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Karla! Your spaces look amazing. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your crafts closet I only wish I had a space devoted to my craft stuff. Maybe someday. great job.

    ReplyDelete